Monday, July 16, 2012

Kara no Kyoukai Review


cover
Cover of Kara no Kyoukai
 
  An intense Horror/Psychological/Mystery/Drama/Supernatural/Romance, that has great characters, animation and plot. It's a movie series made up of 7 movies. I don't give 10/10's very often but this definitely deserves it. Now this is something I recommend EVERYONE to watch.
  The first movie might be a little confusing as it doesn't really explain anything, the second movie and the rest will cover what you were thinking when you said "What the fuck...".



  The animation and the fight scenes are amazingly beautiful and so are the characters design. The story is built so that it kinda relies on the watcher but I found joy in unraveling what the author was trying to do.
  There might not be much humor and emotion but there is something about it that keeps you clinging and BOOM goes when you get to the last movies. It was amazingly presented and I love this movie series.
  The writing was good, if a little strange. Much of the speech was philosophical, and the movie makes fun of it by having a character refer to the themes as 'something from a cheap novel' but like everything else, the script served to enhance the tone, both where it was and wasn't there. The main character, Shiki, caught my heart the second I laid my eyes on her and never let go. She's intense, serious, but still very emotional. The supporting characters didn't play that big of a roll in the film, but none were unnecessary.  
Shiki is being awesome with her knife
Shiki with her knife being awesome
  The film's soundtrack was made by the extremely talented Yuki Kajiura (.hack, Mai-Hime and other great anime) and was perfect for the film's dark and intense moments. It wasn't the best of Kajiura's work but it still was certainly impressive.
  It might not be for people that don't like complex stories but this was an amazing watch and I would still recommend them to watch it.

WARNING: This movie series is very gruesome. Please be at least 16+ to watch this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The fifth movie is the best, in my opinion, and probably also the longest. The nonlinear chronology of the series may confuse some viewers, though.

Unknown said...

Yes, I also think the fifth movie was the best. I am going to update this review to be like my newer Sword Art Online review so please be patient. I needed some more experience before doing a big review that goes in depth. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

Post a Comment